Friday, June 22, 2012

Goodbyes and New Adventures


Photograph: Mood for Reflection by Priyanka Nayar

It is time for us to move again. Yes, I know, seems too soon to me too. We're all packed and ready to push off to Porbandar for our next adventure. It's been a good first stint in Kerala. The people, the food, the beaches and the wildlife have made their excellent first impressions.


It's been just over a year since we came here, but we've travelled away from home so often, that we haven't seen everything that there is to see and experience. We'll be back some day. Maybe to another part of the state.


This has been the kind of sabbatical from normal life that only very few lucky people can manage. It has spoilt me, for now, wherever I go, I will miss the lush greens. The place where we lived afforded us a view of the Arabian Sea on one hand, and the beautiful backwaters that Kerala is famous for on the other. Will be hard to find something to beat that.


Am one fourth Keralite, but have been to Kerala only once, over two decades ago. I've learnt some local cuisine, picked up a few words of Malayalam, and bought my first 'set saree'! It's been wonderful getting introduced to my roots. I've floated through most of my life not belonging to a particular part of the country, I surely will continue to do that for the rest of my life too. But now I know a little more about where my grandfather came from, and perhaps a little about why I am a fan of curry leaves.


There are still a bunch of things that are on my bucket list - am yet to take a cruise on a house boat, live in floating houses and watch a Kathakali performance. I haven't had a whole host of dishes that I dream about, haven't caught a glimpse of Periyar, Thekkady, Kumarakom or Munnar and not even had fresh seafood by the sea in Cochin. So I am far from satiated and my heart wants to come back and complete the journey.


Au revoir Kerala and my lovely friends here. Unfortunately, I've had to use the farewell cards I designed a short while back. But like the card says, it's goodbyes only until we meet again.


The picture above captures my thoughts as I sign off, and prepare for the train journey tomorrow morning. If you'd like to see the art print for this and other pictures by me, you can find them at my store. Some of them are available as ipad and iphone skins too.


I may not be able to write again until we're well and settled in Porbandar. But my head is all abuzz with ideas for DIY projects and cozying up the nest there. And I've been busy pinning inspiration on my Pinterest boards. So when am back in full swing, there will be loads to share. On our way to our new home, we're spending a few days in Mumbai, I should also have some stories to share of my time at markets, old haunts and with dear old friends.


Have a super weekend yourself, and an even better week ahead. xoxo, Sunny Nomad me.


Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 26, 2012 at 3:43 AM , Blogger Gayatri said...

Ooohh good luck with the move! Something tells me you'll fall in love with every new home you build.

PS - I had no idea you were 1/4th Keralite.

 
At July 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Priyanka Nayar said...

Thank you Gaya. We've arrived in Porbandar and begun the process of building a new home :) You're right, and every time I leave a home, I miss it. I still miss my hostel room from college! How's your move going?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Sunny Nomad: Goodbyes and New Adventures

This page has moved to a new address.

Goodbyes and New Adventures