Friday, September 21, 2012

Food Photography: Great Tips from a Pro put to Use

Over the past month, I have been obsessing over the decision to buy a DSLR that I've had my eye on for a while. It's the Nikon D5100. Every few days I trundle over to the Nikon India website and wonder what is the one thing that will push me to place the order for one. And a couple of lenses while am at, I mean why not, right? Okay, the lens I start with will actually be the kit lens, but no harm in a little daydreaming...

It's not that I cannot afford to buy the camera, I have been saving up money for one. But something is just holding me back from making the commitment. Somebody (my rational voice) is whispering in my ears, what if am just another one of the many untalented enthusiasts toting a fancy piece of equipment? I have looked at some perfect, yet uninspiring stills clicked with high-end cameras and been really, really worried that I may be on the same path myself.

As always, common sense dawned upon me a little later, and I realised that I just had to believe I could get to a place where I could be good at photography. I may be far away from that benchmark yet, but I would never get there unless I tried. I have decided to take baby steps, instead of rushing head-on (which I was running away from doing anyway).

Now, I have decided to learn as much as I can both theoretically and practically. Am going to stick with my point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot for the time being. Am going to explore the several buttons, knobs and settings to see what all this little miracle can pull off. At the same time, I have begun to read up, watch videos, look at great photography and dig for pearls of wisdom from the pros.

A few days back I came across this excellent collection of tips from Penny De Los Santos on the National Geographic website - an eternal fount of inspiration. Head over here now if you'd like to learn a few interesting details about how you can bring a plate of food to life. I simply love how every picture tells a story and gives you a glimpse into a new culture. Penny has shared her inspirations and how she feels about her work giving impetus to my desire to fiddle around.

This evening, I baked a batch of banana muffins using a recipe by Kanan from her blog Spice up the Curry. My friend Bhakti who blogs at Lifestylerr.com, recommended this recipe a couple of weeks ago and I was waiting to give them a go. The only change I made to the original recipe is that used the natural sweetness of the bananas and didn't add any sugar to sweeten up the batter. My muffins came out just like freshly baked muffins should...fluffy, fragrant and divine!

Have I told you how, whenever I cook something new, I have to click pictures of it before I even try it? It is a just-in-case measure. If the dish turns out great and share-worthy, I want to share it with all of you. Must spread the love. Always.

So armed with my newly learned theory about great food photography, I got going and clicked until the sun went down. Here are the results for you to see. And judge. I'd love to know what you think.













Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At September 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Bhakti said...

amazing pics..even without food photography, your clicks were awesome!

 
At September 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Priyanka Nayar said...

Thank you so much Bhakti! And thank you for the lovely recipe...I polished off the last muffin this morning!

 
At September 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM , Anonymous Kanan said...

Sorry for late. I just saw your comment. I am glad that it came out well. your muffins look really very good. Beautiful photos

 
At September 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Priyanka Nayar said...

Hey Kanan! Thank you for stopping by...lovely to see you here. And there wouldn't have been any pictures if not for your recipe. So am really happy and grateful that you shared it with all of us! xoxo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Sunny Nomad: Food Photography: Great Tips from a Pro put to Use

This page has moved to a new address.

Food Photography: Great Tips from a Pro put to Use